The United States Mint put the 2006 San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Coins on sale on August 15th of that year. This commemorative coin program was one of two that year provided by the Mint.
Congress approved these coins under the San Francisco Old Mint Commemorative Coin Act (Public Law 109-230) to honor the facility's contributions since Congress founded it on July 3, 1852.
It was one of the few structures to survive the 1906 earthquakes and began storing city restoration materials immediately. Up to 100,000 gold and 500,000 proof coins were permitted.
The Old Mint is depicted on the obverse of the $5 Gold Coin, which is based on sketches created by A.B. Mullett. Charles Vickers was the last person to finish the design, and Joseph Menna was the one who sculpted it.
There are also the inscriptions of the SAN FRANCISCO EARTHQUAKE AND FIRE CENTENNIAL, LIBERTY, and E PLURIBUS UNUM, which were written in 1906 and 2006 respectively.
A reproduction of the Half-Eagle Coronet Liberty eagle that was struck in 1906 is seen on the reverse of the gold coin. It was Christian Gobrecht who was the one who initially designed it. There are inscriptions that read "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" and "FIVE D" surrounding the eagle.
Another representation of the Old Mint building may be found on the obverse of the silver dollar. This particular design was initially created by Sherl J. Winter for the San Francisco Mint medal.
There are inscriptions that surround the artwork, including the words "OLD MINT," "THE GRANITE LADY," "INSTRUMENTAL IN SAN FRANCISCO'S RECOVERY," "LIBERTY," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM," as well as the years 1906 and 2006.
The reverse is a reproduction of the eagle reverse that George T. Morgan used for the Morgan Silver Dollar in 1904. Additionally, the words "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "IN GOD WE TRUST," and "ONE DOLLAR" are displayed on the medallion.